Policies and Information
- Provide a valid driver’s license or other valid, government-issued ID
- Show proof of residence via a piece of mail, i.e. a utility bill. The mail must bear a postmark dated within the last three months.
- There is no charge for Jones County residents. Out-of-county residents must pay a non-resident fee of $5.00 per year per account.
- Children under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign the application card. A staff member of the library system must witness the signature.
- Each person must use their own library card for all transactions.
- Patrons checking out for the first time are limited to one book.
- Maximum check out is a total of 10 items per account.
- Accounts must be clear before items may be borrowed. This includes returning or renewing any outstanding items, paying any fines or charges on the account, updating account information annually, and resolving any other issues.
- Children’s accounts are linked to a parent or legal guardian’s account. Parents or legal guardians are responsible ensuring children’s accounts are cleared prior to borrowing materials.
- Books may be borrowed for 2 weeks. Books may be renewed a maximum of two times. Any book with a request on it will not be eligible for renewal. A maximum of 10 books may be borrowed per account. Books may be returned in the outside drop boxes at either library at any time or inside at the circulation desk when the libraries are open.
- Audiobooks (books on cassette or CD) are available for borrowing on adult accounts only. Audiobooks may be borrowed for 2 weeks and may be renewed a maximum of one time. Any audiobook with a request on it will not be eligible for renewal. A maximum of 3 audiobooks may be borrowed per adult account. Audiobooks must be returned inside at the circulation desk of either library when the libraries are open. There is a $2 fee per audiobook for items returned in the outside drop boxes.
- Videos (on VHS or DVD) are available for borrowing on adult accounts only. Videos may be borrowed for 2 weeks and are not eligible for renewal. A maximum of 5 videos may be borrowed per adult account with DVDs being limited to 3 per adult account and VHS being limited to 5 per adult account. Videos must be returned inside at the circulation desk of either library when the libraries are open. There is a $2 fee per video for items returned in the outside drop boxes.
- Magazines may be borrowed for 2 weeks and are not eligible for renewal. A maximum of three magazines may be borrowed per account.
- Deposit books require a cash deposit to check-out. The deposit is refunded when the book is returned, minus late fees if the book is not returned when it is due.
- If you are not finished with your items, most books and audio books may be renewed. Any item that has a reserve on it cannot be renewed.
- Call the circulation desk at either library (have your library card handy!)
- Renew your items online from any computer by going to the library web site, click on online catalog, choose patron account, and entering your library card number and password. You may renew from the “items out” menu.
- Bring the items in to renew them.
- Public Access Computers are available at Ellisville Public Library and in the Reference Area of Laurel-Jones County Library to provide library card holders with internet access, word processing, and other computer resources. Library card holders may use computers as long as their account is in good standing. Children (under 18) who wish to use Public Access Computers must bring a parent to sign the Computer Use Agreement form and must be directly supervised by a parent if under age 14.
- Computers are available whenever the library is open. Please note computers shut down 30 minutes prior to the library closing.
- Visitor’s Passes may be issued to out of county visitors who wish to use our Public Access Computers. An individual may receive three visitor’s passes per calendar year. Visitors must provide a valid government issued photo ID and be over the age of 18. Visitors under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian complete the Computer Use Agreement form. Visitors under the age of 14 must be directly supervised by a parent or legal guardian. After the third use visitors may apply for a non-resident library card.
- Late items- Accounts will be charged a fine for each item returned past its due date. Fines are charged per item per day for all materials. Fine rates for materials are as follows:
- books and magazines-$.25
- ILL materials-$2
- Lost/Damaged/Destroyed Items - You will be charged the price of the item plus a $5.00 processing fee. After an item is paid for, no refunds will be issued. You are also subject to MS Code Section 39-3-303 and may be arrested for failure to return library materials and/or pay fines and fees associated with loss or destruction of materials.
- Delinquent accounts – If you have overdue materials or late fines on your library account for 30 days or more, your account will be submitted to the collection agency. If your account is submitted to the collection agency, your account will automatically be charged a collection agency fee. For amounts less than $25, the fee is $5 per account. For amounts of $25 or more, the fee is $15 per account. Once this fee is charged to your account, it will not be removed even if the overdue materials are returned.
- Lost Card – Replacement cards are available but the charge increases each time a card is lost. The fees for purchasing replacement cards are as follows: $1.00 for the 1st replacement, $2.00 for the 2nd replacement, $3.00 for the 3rd replacement, and $5.00 for each replacement over three.
- Non-Resident Fee – A $5 non-resident fee is charged at the time any person who resides outside Jones County obtains a library account. The fee is charged each year the account is maintained.
- Copies – Printed pages and black/white copies are $.25 per page. Color copies are $ 1.25 per page.
- Faxes – Faxes may be sent or received at the Circulation Desk of either library. The fee is $2.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page per fax. You are responsible for paying for all pages sent or received. Faxes sent outside the US are $20 regardless of size or where they are sent.
- Lamination – Lamination services are available at the Laurel-Jones County Library. The cost is $1.50 per foot. To have something laminated, ask a staff member at the circulation desk for assistance. Laminating items may take up to two hours. For a large quantity of items, please call ahead and schedule a drop off and pickup time.
- The Reference Areas of both libraries house materials to research medical or legal information. They also house encyclopedias, dictionaries and other specialty materials for researching a wide variety of topics.
The Laurel-Jones County Library System, Inc. observes most state holidays. All libraries in the system are closed for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Eve- December
- New Year’s Day- January
- Martin Luther King, Jr. & Robert E. Lee Day- January
- Presidents’ Day- February
- Memorial Day- May
- Fourth of July- July
- Labor Day- September
- Veterans Day- November
- Thanksgiving- November
- Christmas Eve- December
- Christmas Day- December
For some holidays, the libraries are closed multiple days. To check the libraries closed dates, please check the calendar of events for that month or call one of the libraries and press option 2 to hear closed dates.
The Laurel-Jones County Library is closed the first Saturday of October due to the Loblolly Festival. Services are available at Ellisville Public Library this day.
Due to cuts in funding from local sources, the libraries are closed one day each week. The Laurel-Jones County Library is closed on Wednesdays. The Ellisville Public Library is closed on Tuesdays.