Our History

The Laurel-Jones County Library got its start in 1919 as the Laurel Library Association.  The library relocated to the Lauren Rogers Museum in 1923.  In 1966, the library became a free library and no longer required its members to purchase subscriptions.  The library moved to its current facility in 1979.  The current facility is 24,000 square feet.  It serves as the headquarters for the Laurel-Jones County Library System, Inc.

Ellisville Public Library was founded by the Fidelia Club of Ellisville in 1967.  It became part of the Laurel-Jones County Library System in 1988.  Originally housed in Ellisville’s City Hall, a new library facility was completed in 2009.  The 4,000 square foot building houses the Fidelia Club Children’s Area and Luther K. Saul Conference Room.